Replacement LED's available?

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
KegRaider

Replacement LED's available?

Post by KegRaider » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:50 am

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else had just one LED fail in their DMD's? I just took mine out of the box from storage (xmas project last year), and upon programming up the Arduino, I noticed that the 7th column, 4th row LED was off. No amount of code would bring it back :)

I desoldered the little bugger, and strike me silly, but who decided that "oval" was a good shape for an LED? I never even noticed it before! So, to get my project up an running without a dim pixel, I used my dremel and made a 5mm superbright LED into an oval shape. Where can i get the correct one to put my OCD at ease?

-KegRaider

stryker

Re: Replacement LED's available?

Post by stryker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:05 am

KegRaider wrote:So, to get my project up an running without a dim pixel, I used my dremel and made a 5mm superbright LED into an oval shape.
That is completely ingenious KegRaider.

The failures I've had on my DMDs have tended to either be hot LEDs that are always on, or lines of LEDs off or on that are a symptom of a failure of the shift registers on the back. Or a whole panel failure when I sleep-connect 12V where the 5V should go. I'll be interested to hear how you go though as I am sure to find the same need someday.

KegRaider

Post by KegRaider » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:47 am

Hey Stryker,

Not sure if you still lurk around here, however, after several years of service the replacement modified LED is still working fine. I suspect it was just a dud one. Possibly even from new, but I never noticed it before then, probably because they are mentally bright!

stryker

Post by stryker » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:21 am

It is like looking into the sun, agreed!