Small switched mode voltage regulator

Discussion of the online video show SuperHouseTV, where Freetronics co-founder Jonathan Oxer hacks on his house using various Open Source hardware and software. [SuperHouseTV site]
albertovn

Small switched mode voltage regulator

Post by albertovn » Fri May 17, 2019 9:09 am

Hi,
In the show https://youtu.be/cO1Z1i5dyfk, in the minute 13:48 we can see a power hat for the Raspberry Pi using a very small SMVR to convert DC to 5v DC. I'm very interested in this for my projects but I only find big modules with big capacitors and inductors. Anyone knows where can I buy something like the one seen in the show?
Thanks a lot!

Brissieboy

Re: Small switched mode voltage regulator

Post by Brissieboy » Fri May 17, 2019 10:06 am

Had a look at ebay? Something like this or this?
Not encapsulated but pretty small. AliExpress might be worth a look as well to see what is available there.

TheGuruOfNothing

Re: Small switched mode voltage regulator

Post by TheGuruOfNothing » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:38 am

Hey there... The device he used on that hat is a MORNSUN K7805 linear buck converter. They come in a collection of different voltages and ratings but the one he used was a K7805-500 (12v to 5v .5A) I use the K7805-2000 which are 2A rated in the same package. They are tiny little boogers but work really well. I tried to see if I had a picture of one posted somewhere since this forum doesn't allow native picture storage but I don't. But that is what he used on the hat. They are pretty inexpensive and small enough to use in most any project. Google 'MORNSUN K7805'