Freetronics Ethernet Shield and JeeLabs RFM12B Combo

Just want to hang out with other Makers and chat about stuff? This is the place to do it.
europa

Freetronics Ethernet Shield and JeeLabs RFM12B Combo

Post by europa » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:40 am

Hi guys/gals,

Rather than reinvent the wheel I was hoping someone out there might have successfully and reproducibly, managed to get a Freetronics Ethershield with POE and JeeLabs RFM12B board happily talking to each other.
I have spent some time trying this myself, albeit without success. I'm using a Freetronics Kit Ten, a Freetronics Ethernet Shield (no SD) and a JeeLabs RFM12B Board. The active low CS for the RFM12B has been changed in hardware from PB2(Arduino digital pin 10) to PB1(Arduino digital pin 9). This is necessary so, there is no SPI hardware conflict with the Freetronics Ethercard which also uses the active low CS PB2 (Arduino digital pin 10). The corresponding firmware change has also been made to the RFM12 library. A big plus with using the Freetronics Ethercard is that the shield uses the inverted PB2 CS pin (Arduino digital pin 10) to drive the W5100 SEN pin, thus allowing other devices to access the SPI BUS when SEN is low.

After trawling quite a few of the blogs on this topic, I have come across heaps of useful information but not enough to nail a working prototype. Hopefully someone can change the status quo! I'm pretty sure that many out there would be interested in a solution, as being able to have data sent wirelessly and then scrape this off a webserver, is a pretty useful application. Here's hoping?

europa

Re: Freetronics Ethernet Shield and JeeLabs RFM12B Combo

Post by europa » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:23 am

Hi fulltusy,

On reading your comment, I suspect there maybe some confusion concerning my previous post. My inquiry concerned a possible solution for an Arduino/Freetronics Ethernet shield and Hope RFM12B/BP shield interface. What you seem to be wanting is a piece of hardware that can be connected to your old PC, a Compaq Presario 7360 in this case, to give it internet capabilities. What's preventing you from just sticking a generic USB NIC card in a spare USB port on this PC and loading the appropriate driver?

cef
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Freetronics Ethernet Shield and JeeLabs RFM12B Combo

Post by cef » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:34 am

The post by fulltusy was spam. I missed the links at the bottom of their post. Doh!