Memory Module

Do you have an idea for a device that you think Freetronics should create? Discuss your ideas here! Sometimes we may even give you a sneak peek at secret projects we have in the pipeline, or ask for feedback on designs before they go into production.
avrdude
Memory Module

Post by avrdude » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:51 pm

I have an idea for Freetronics: what about a memory module that's Arduino compatible? For those like myself that don't want to reduce the already short lifespan of the internal EEPROM, or if you just wanted more space to store data? I know there are SD card interfaces, but the EEPROM memory maps data, in my opinion, more easily for the Arduino to read and write.
Maybe even a different type of non-volatile memory, like thumb drive type flash memory...?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Memory Module

Post by andrew » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:53 am

Interesting thoughts.

Using thumb drives is possible using an Arduino or compatible with a USB host shield, or a board with one inbuilt such as our USBDroid:
http://www.freetronics.com/collections/ ... s/usbdroid

There are a few SRAM options already on the market, however fast - they're volatile. On the flipside EEPROMs are easy to use, but have a finite life :) If there was a market demand for a particular size and type we could look into it. However it wouldn't be tricky at all to add some I2C-capable EEPROMs to a protoshield.

avrdude

Post by avrdude » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Oh so the USBDroid can work with other USB devices other than just Android devices?
A shield with memory would be convenient... If volatile memory was implemented, it could just be used as extra RAM for the Arduino board, so you could upload sketches that use a lot of RAM... I, for one, wouldn't really mind a protoshield with EEPROM, despite the limited life, because then at least it could be replaced, whereas the EEPROM in the Arduino microcontroller is not.

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:15 pm

avrdude wrote:Oh so the USBDroid can work with other USB devices other than just Android devices?
A shield with memory would be convenient... If volatile memory was implemented, it could just be used as extra RAM for the Arduino board, so you could upload sketches that use a lot of RAM... I, for one, wouldn't really mind a protoshield with EEPROM, despite the limited life, because then at least it could be replaced, whereas the EEPROM in the Arduino microcontroller is not.
The USBdroid has a MAX3421E USB host controller which is pretty common. There's a series of articles from here:
http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/ardui ... -2-classes
that will be of interest and use the aforementioned USB controller.

You can easily add a few EEPROMS to a protoshield, for some example circuitry and sketch there's a tutorial here:
http://tronixstuff.com/2010/10/29/tutor ... -part-two/