Pump Controller.

Showcase your projects! We love to see what people come up with, so please share your creations here.
smartguy

Pump Controller.

Post by smartguy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:29 am

I have a 1 HP Mono Block Pump to pump water to the Overhead tank. It is a booster pump which is connected to the water mains and boosts the pressure and pumps water to a overhead tank. Water is supplied at particular time in the morning from 5 AM to 8 AM. I wanted to automate the system so that I don't have to wake up at 5 Am in the morning . I wanted to make a system which would switch off the pump automatically when the tank fills up as well as when water supply stops. I decided to use Arduino. The setup consisted of a Arduino Board, RTC and a Relay board. For the sensors I created my own DIY sensors. For the pump running dry sensor, I fitted two wires in front of the water outlet in tank and similarly two wires at the top the tank worked as my level full sensors. These two sensors were connected to two analog pins of Arduino. In the loop() function, as soon as the time is between the set period of 5 Am to 8 AM, the relay is powered. If the analogread() returns a value less than say 100, I take it that the sensors are reading no water.The dry run period is definable and after that period is over the pump is switch off and retried after a certain period of time. In the meanwhile if the tank fills up the pump is switched off. I even hacked a remote wireless bell and connected it to the system so that I get a warning tone to wake me up if water is not pumped after a certain number of retries. The system has been working fine for the past 3 months.

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Pump Controller.

Post by jonoxer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:59 am

Sounds like a great practical application of Arduino, exactly the sort of thing it does best: a few inputs, a few outputs, and some logic in the middle to save you manual drudgery. Nice.

Could you explain a bit more about how you connected the level sensors? Did you run a GND wire into the tank, and have a weak pull-up on the analog input that is then connected to another wire in the tank? Have you done any input protection, or figured that the Arduino is cheap enough that if it's zapped by lightning it's easy enough to just replace it?
--
Jon

smartguy

Re: Pump Controller.

Post by smartguy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:02 am

Hi Jon,
Yeah. I run two wires to each of the sensors. In fact I have used a 2 pair telephone cable. Three wire would do the job but I kept one more for redundancy. One wire connected to each of the sensors is connected to 5V pin and the other is connected to a analog pin. When water touches the wire tips and the circuit is through, a analogread() gives me a value around 100 to 200. I had tried a digitalread in the beginning but the problem was that the pin don't really goto to high when the water touches the wires because of the resistance of the water. The wires are about half an inch apart.
In the place where I live, not many thunderstorm are there and also there are buildings higher than the tank. The probability of a lightning striking the tank is remote. But I think you have a valid point. Never thought of that.
By the way, I love chocolates too, especially the dark ones.!!. I have a few in the fridge in case...
Bye and have a good day.