etherten memory problem ?

The EtherTen combines an Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board and Wiznet-based Ethernet support, along with a microSD card slot and Power-over-Ethernet support. [Product page]
davidw
etherten memory problem ?

Post by davidw » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:38 am

I've been working on a problem which seems to be related to the maximum size of a sketch.

When my sketch gets somewhere near 19.5K in size as reported by the Arduino compiler 1.0.1 (1.0 is the same) the etherten seems to have a problem. Serial out chars are incorrect (rubbish usually). If the code gets even bigger the whole thing just hangs. I have fiddled around with this for a couple of days thinking it was my code but fine tuning the sketch by deleting non essential code (mostly Serial.print lines) and reducing char strings to a bare minimum I can get it to reliably run. I have shifted new sections of code in and out during testing and everything seems to point to a memory problem of some kind.

My next step is to try it on another etherten board to see if the problem is the sketch or maybe pin pointing it to the hardware (memory ?).

Any advice or anyone experiencing a similar problem ? :?

avalonnw

Re: etherten memory problem ?

Post by avalonnw » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi davidw,

Were you able to resolve this issue?
I'm currently writing a code which is almost 27k and it works fine but if I try to add something extra to it (like a dummy function) it just does not work.
I believe there is a memory issue there, but not sure. I will probably go to Ethermega...

jebz

Post by jebz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:47 pm

avalonnw wrote: I'm currently writing a code which is almost 27k and it works fine but if I try to add something extra to it (like a dummy function) it just does not work.
I updated the boot loader with OptiLoader. This allowed larger sketches.
https://github.com/WestfW/OptiLoader

avalonnw

Post by avalonnw » Wed May 08, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks a lot.