Problems running the example ethernet sketches

The EtherTen combines an Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board and Wiznet-based Ethernet support, along with a microSD card slot and Power-over-Ethernet support. [Product page]
hoolio
Problems running the example ethernet sketches

Post by hoolio » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi there, firstly, Jon, thanks for the Leostick from LCA; i finally sat down to play with it and as it happens i don't think i've actually left this room in a month.... :) Heh, but when i say thanks i mean, thankyou, really. You are awesome, take a bow.

Anyhow, right now playing with an etherten, and I'm getting a bit frustrated; i can't get it on the network, basically on the device the LNK light is constantly orange, never green, and i get no output at all from the serial monitor. i've been using the dhcpAddressPrinter from the arduino 1.0.1 ide (on a ubuntu 12.04 laptop). im plugging it into a tplink gigabit switch, and dhcp is being served by ubuntu 10.10 server. i do get this odd message in the dhcp logs though, not sure if it's relevant;

ul 10 21:16:09 ferntree dhcpd: Discarding packet with bogus hlen.
Jul 10 21:17:35 ferntree dhcpd: last message repeated 3 times
Jul 10 21:21:06 ferntree dhcpd: Discarding packet with bogus hlen.

at any rate, if i load up the example blink sketch, it works fine. i can use the device for my other projects, including for general serial output, but any sketch requiring the ethernet libraries/hardware stops the board from responding at all. ie as soon as i include ethernet, serial doesn't work, so i get no output whatsoever from it. if it were an issue with my network i'd expect it to just report the "Failed to configure Ethernet using DHCP" as per the default example, but it just does nothing.

i've tried it with the delay(50) right at the start of setup() as per the freetronics help guide, also have it running from a regulated dc supply, unfortunately neither of those fix it. Resetting the device doesn't help, and nor does tearing out my hair :) so i'm having to call in the big guns. Fingers crossed you can help.

jebz

Re: Problems running the example ethernet sketches

Post by jebz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:51 pm

hoolio wrote:also have it running from a regulated dc supply,
I found this to be the cure with my EtherTen ethernet problems. You need to disconnect the USB and apply the external DC power first. The WIZnet wasn't very well behaved with usb power.