SD failing when RTC enabled?

The EtherTen combines an Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board and Wiznet-based Ethernet support, along with a microSD card slot and Power-over-Ethernet support. [Product page]
jdubs7

SD failing when RTC enabled?

Post by jdubs7 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:50 am

Hey there,

Somewhat new to this, so reaching out for some assistance/guidance. Basically; I have an EtherTen, Grove shield and a couple of grove sensors on A0-2, a relay on D6 and an RTC (grove DS1307) on I2C. When I add the RTC code into my sketch, it fails to read the index.htm on the sd card. Now, if I remove the RTC code, everything works fine. I'm thinking it's possible there's not enough memory??? (28,432 bytes) :?: I must be overlooking something :roll: ...

EDIT:
after a couple hours of line by line debugging, the culprit was :idea: the STRING, use char buffer[32], buffer[count++] instead of Strings...

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: SD failing when RTC enabled?

Post by angusgr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:28 pm

Hi jdubs,

Glad to hear you got it sorted. The String library is a bit more heavyweight, so you probably saved a substantial chunk of flash (program) space by removing it.

If you need to add any more functionality, the EtherMega might give you the extra headroom you need.

- Angus