Phone charger for Power Supply?

The EtherTen combines an Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board and Wiznet-based Ethernet support, along with a microSD card slot and Power-over-Ethernet support. [Product page]
ngp99

Phone charger for Power Supply?

Post by ngp99 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:41 am

I am on my third Sony T6xx phone and so have a couple of spare chargers. Output is 5.12v 450mA. Would one of these be OK as an external supply? I realise that the voltage is only just over the regulated 5v, so I hope there would be nothing subtle going on. I am only reading sensors, no motors.

My EtherTen board got distressingly hot when I leaned 12v against it.

Thank you

Flymo

Re: Phone charger for Power Supply?

Post by Flymo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:25 am

Greetings!

You should be fine - there is always a tolerance on power supply voltages, and in the case of USB, 5 volts means "between 4.75 and 5.25 volts". There's more on Wikipedia here:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Power

Worth checking the total current your EtherTen project is drawing. One of my projects was taking 720mA total, due to a thirsty prototyping shield etc. Needed 2x USB feeds from the laptop to make it work right.

If yours works well on a single USB feed (500mA) it should *probably" be good on 450 mA, but it would be good to be certain of that. ;)

hth!

ngp99

Post by ngp99 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks for your comment. I have gone ahead and put a concentric on the Sony charger. My concern was putting this voltage through the on-board regulator rather than supplying through the USB port.

I take your point about ensuring adequate power. When I connected a temperature probe to my proto shield, the blue light on the EtherTen went out and the PC went ding!

jebz

Post by jebz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:12 am

ngp99 wrote:I have gone ahead and put a concentric on the Sony charger.
You need 7v on the coaxial dc power connection or it will not work reliably.
http://www.freetronics.com/pages/ethert ... EmpySKHlJk

rebboc

Post by rebboc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 pm

I have been able to power the Etherten successfully with a 9V plugpack ex a dead wireless router and with a USB charger ex a dead mobile phone. The USB charger I just plugged into the USB connection on the Etherten.

ngp99

Post by ngp99 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:16 pm

It appears that the charger is not up to the job when I use the ethernet facility. I believe it is OK for anything else.

JHern

Post by JHern » Mon May 06, 2013 9:48 am

I went to the local electronics surplus store today and bought this supply and cord. Next I went to radio shack and bought banana jacks, a switch and 2 - 50 ohm 10 watt resistors. Total expendature $28.36. Very cheap for a 12 volt 10 amp switching supply with 5 volts 25 amps as a bonus.