Having a go at Arduino, VSCP and CAN

Discussion of the online video show SuperHouseTV, where Freetronics co-founder Jonathan Oxer hacks on his house using various Open Source hardware and software. [SuperHouseTV site]
mr-russ

Having a go at Arduino, VSCP and CAN

Post by mr-russ » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:38 am

Even though I'm still in my planning and initial development phases, I thought I'd share what I'm thinking so if you have any good ideas, I could use them.

So, I've looked at VSCP for some time now and it looks very good at the automation stuff. Using CAN seems to be able to provide a stand alone system that runs in a loop rather back to switches. It also appears much cheaper than using tcp/ip.

The cost of etherten has been prohibitively expensive to deploy them in as many locations as Jon has. So this option appears to keep the cost down considerably.

So now I'm in the process of desiging a board with CAN, RJ45 jacks, arduino and then any other appropriate options I need for sensors and switches. I'll publish some further stuff when I get it running.

Any input or gotchas would also be appreciated.

Russell

akhe

Re: Having a go at Arduino, VSCP and CAN

Post by akhe » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:49 am

There are som code to start out with here. http://www.vscp.org/wiki/doku.php/modul ... o_sample_1 There will be some Ethernet Arduino code added to this later.

/Ake