Troubles with Atmega328p

The "Eleven" is our Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board, but with a number of improvements including prototyping area, a mini-USB connector, LEDs mounted near the edge, and the D13 LED isolated using a FET. [Product page]
SirJefferE

Troubles with Atmega328p

Post by SirJefferE » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:19 pm

I'm not sure if this post is in the right place, as the problem isn't *exactly* with an Eleven. I had a look around though, and couldn't find a more relevant spot to post this.

I bought a preloaded freetronics Atmega328p from Jaycar the other day and set it up on my breadboard following this tutorial: http://www.freetronics.com/pages/tutori ... EPDuPnLfYg

Everything looked promising, but I don't have a serial programmer, so I followed various tutorials with ArduinoISP (http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP) trying to upload a blink sketch, but none of them worked. (The dreaded 'stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00' error came up on all uploads).

During troubleshooting, I realized that even without a sketch my breadboarduino should blink pin 13 on startup if the bootloader were working, but it doesn't do that.

I tried reloading the bootloader and got a invalid device signature error.

Just for fun I tried both the optiloader sketch and Nick Gammons sketch (Found here: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635, but neither one recognized my chip.

I've checked, rechecked, rewired, and rebuilt the breadboarduino, and have verified that every other component is working (Except for the oscillator that came with the chip. I'm not sure how to test those).

I'll probably pickup a usb serial board or programmer tomorrow and test a few more things, but I've run out of ideas for tonight. The only other thing I can think is if I fried the chip somehow during installation, but I was pretty careful to doublecheck every connection before I ever powered it up.

Anyone else have any ideas, or know anything I might have missed? Been messing with it for a few hours now and I think I've run out of options. Figured I'd type this up and head to bed and come back tomorrow with a clear head.

Thanks in advance for any help!

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Troubles with Atmega328p

Post by angusgr » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi SirJ,

Your setup sounds like it should work. Testing that the 16MHz crystal is oscillating properly is possible with an oscilloscope, but even if it's not working the ISP circuit should be able to talk to the chip.

Do you have any photos you can post of your setup, including the ISP if possible?

If you've tripled-check your wiring and nothing works then the next step may be returning the Atmega328p to Jaycar or to us (email support if you'd like to return it to us), for a replacement.

Angus

SirJefferE

Post by SirJefferE » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:45 am

I got frustrated and took it all apart last night. I intend to try it again a bit later, swapping all the peripherals in case something was acting funny there. I'll take some pictures once I get it all set up again.

One more thing I'm going to try is to set up my Eleven with a blink sketch, then pull out the chip from that and throw it in my breadboard setup to see if it works there. I should have probably done that last night while troubleshooting, but I didn't think of it at the time. Would have narrowed things down a lot faster though!

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Excellent idea! You can also try dropping the loose atmega328p into your Eleven.

Please let us know how you go.

Angus

SirJefferE

Post by SirJefferE » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:34 am

Ha. Got a bit of spare time so I was about to rebuild the breadboard. Glad I decided to check back here first. Your suggestion makes far more sense than what I was going to do.

Dropped the new chip into the working Eleven. Power light comes on and RX light blinks for a bit when I click upload, but I still get the not in sync: resp=0x00 error, so I guess that confirms it.

I'll drop it off at Jaycar tomorrow and see what they say about it. Thanks again for the help, saved me 10 minutes rewiring the breadboard.