Eleven no longer recognised on port...dead?

The "Eleven" is our Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board, but with a number of improvements including prototyping area, a mini-USB connector, LEDs mounted near the edge, and the D13 LED isolated using a FET. [Product page]
sixd

Eleven no longer recognised on port...dead?

Post by sixd » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:24 am

Hi. I've had an Elevn (R3 v2.0) for a while and used it on a number of projects, no problem... But now it isn't recognized when connected to the 'puty.

Yes, i have tried all USB ports. i can't select it from IDE and the Device manager doesnt show it as a device anymore. BUT When plugged in blue power light is on and the 5V rail is producing 5V just like it should. i have checked the USB ports with a USB stick - reads the stick fine .

i cant tell if the last program is running or not, 'cos i was in the middle of writing a new sketch and its not working yet. the program i was getting going on was for a 27v stepper, but using a L293D as the 'interface', i was careful not to fry the Eleven, but hey i guess thats maybe a possibility :(

what can i do to do test the eleven / isolate + find this problem.
Thanks and help,
sixD

sixd

Re: Eleven no longer recognised on port...dead?

Post by sixd » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:58 am

Hi. me here again. I tried the Loop-back test that i found at http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=73748.0 and the good news is that the Eleven PASSES this test fine.

BUT it still does not show up in 'ports' in Device manager, nor do i get the sound of a USB device just plugged in (which i do for other USB devices)

Any ideas?

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:44 am

Hi sixd,

If the Eleven passes the loop back test then it should have appeared somewhere in Device Manager, in order to have registered as a COM port/Serial port. What COM port interface program did you use to run the test?

Something that can help in Windows is to plug/unplug the Eleven while Device Manager is open. The Device Manager (at least in some versions of Windows) will pop open the section where the
device has registered.

Angus

sixd

Post by sixd » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:23 am

Hi Angus,
thanks for the reply - yes, i was pretty surprised that the loopback test passed too. I was using Arduino IDE looking at ctrl-M (serial port). But the device manger doesnt show the device! and yes i have tried it with device manager open. nothing!
but because the loopback test passed, i thought i'd try uploading a sketch but then it gives the error that means its not on the port.
btw i'm using XP (yes, still).
what do you reckon?
thanks
sixD

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:40 pm

Hi sixD,

I have a couple more questions for you.

Do you see any COM ports at all under Tools->Serial Port menu list in the Arduino IDE? Which COM port is open when you do the loopback test? Does it disappear from the meu when you unplug the Eleven?

Angus