USB connection issue with Eleven under Linux

The "Eleven" is our Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board, but with a number of improvements including prototyping area, a mini-USB connector, LEDs mounted near the edge, and the D13 LED isolated using a FET. [Product page]
rbt12

USB connection issue with Eleven under Linux

Post by rbt12 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:42 pm

I have the Freetronics eleven and the experimenters kit

I am running the arduino IDE under the latest version of Linux Mint. I got as far as project 5 of the tutorials. I uploaded it and it runs, but now the USB port will not work and I cannot upload anymore sketches.
(This all seemed to start after I changed the baud rate to 38400, as described in the manual. I cannot figure out how to set it back to what it was. Before I did this, I tried the serial monitor and it was a repeating series of meaningless symbols. This may or may not be related.)
I have tried reinstalling the IDE with no affect
I have switched USB ports with no luck. Each time I I switch to a different usb port, a new port, labeled AMC0, AMC1, AMC2, etc will show up in 'Tools/serial port', but I will then get an error when attempting to upload a new sketch. And then the 'Tools/serial port' option is grayed out..
I did notice that there are four surface mount diodes on the right hand side. When I unplug and replug the USB:
the red led will light at approximately half power.
The blue led will light up.
the yellow led will flash slowly on and off
and the green led will flash quickly 3 or 4 times, stop, flash quickly 3 or 4 times, stop, and repeat a couple more times,
unitl the red led changes to full brightness and the yellow led stops flashing and stays lit. The blue led is on and the green led is off.

Thank you for any help, Ted

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: USB connection issue with Eleven under Linux

Post by andrew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:54 pm

That's certainly some odd behaviour. There is a possibility that the system is having an issue with the serial speed from the Eleven. Do you have a Windows or MacOS machine about? If so, install the IDE and upload the "blink.ino" sketch which is found in the examples menu of the IDE. If this works then head back to your linux machine and carry on as normal. If the sketch doesn't upload on the other PC then it's the board, at which point it would need to be replaced. Let us know how you get on.

bigalbo

Post by bigalbo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:28 am

I am in exactly the same boat. I got to project 5, and when I changed the baud rate to 34800 the usb port stopped responding. Its as if the serial data coming back from the uno overloads the com port and you cant communicate with it. I have a windows machine and it works fine with it but wont play under linux anymore.

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:51 pm

bigalbo wrote:I am in exactly the same boat. I got to project 5, and when I changed the baud rate to 34800 the usb port stopped responding. Its as if the serial data coming back from the uno overloads the com port and you cant communicate with it. I have a windows machine and it works fine with it but wont play under linux anymore.
Using your windows machine, upload the "blink" example sketch or something simple that doesn't use the serial monitor. Then when using project 4 or others with the serial monitor, use a lower data speed such as 9600 instead of 38400 and see how you go.

OLDerDan

Post by OLDerDan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:03 am

heres a hack that worked for me when this happened, just find the Arduino IDE preferences file, ( mine in LInux is /home/.arduino/preferences.txt ), open it in a text editor, then scroll down to the bit where it has serial.debug_rate=somenumber ( this will be what you set it to in the serial monitor. ) now change the number to 9600.
Reload the IDE, and it should all be working again!
Dan.