Disconnecting USB crashes computer

The "Eleven" is our Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board, but with a number of improvements including prototyping area, a mini-USB connector, LEDs mounted near the edge, and the D13 LED isolated using a FET. [Product page]
RayGeorge

Disconnecting USB crashes computer

Post by RayGeorge » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Hi,

My computer keeps crashing when I disconnect the USB after I have been running the Eleven. I have the drivers installed and all else works fine. I am running Windows 7 32-bit. The only thing I've tried has been to disable the driver in Device manager and then disconnecting the USB but after doing that all my other drivers seem to play up. I'm thinking it maybe a driver issue or maybe the operator :D.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Disconnecting USB crashes computer

Post by angusgr » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Hi Ray,

When you say the computer keeps crashing, what exactly do you mean? If you're getting something like the Blue Screen of Death then this may indicate a bigger problem with your computer hardware.

The Freetronics "drivers" actually don't include any driver software, they're an information file (.inf) that tells Windows to use its own internal "USB serial" driver called usbser.sys for talking to Freetronics devices. So there isn't much we can do from our end if the system becomes unstable, unfortunately,. It could be something with the Windows installation itself (or possibly the hardware if it's Blue Screening regularly.)

Sorry we can't be of more help.

Regards,

Angus

RayGeorge

Post by RayGeorge » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. My computer just shuts down as soon as I pull out the USB and I have to restart it, a purple screen dose come up with a word but it happens so fast I cant read it. So no blue screen of death. Is there a safe way to disconnect the USB I can use? Thanks for your help.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:32 am

Hi Ray,

This still sounds like some kind of serious problem with Windows or your computer hardware I'm afraid. It is possible that the Eleven itself could be causing the problem, but I don't really see how unless the USB port on your computer is also faulty - it shouldn't be possible for USB interactions to cause this kind of effect.

If it was my computer I'd probably bite the bullet and try reinstalling WIndows.

Sorry we can't be of more help,

Angus