Installing drivers for a Freetronics11

The "Eleven" is our Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board, but with a number of improvements including prototyping area, a mini-USB connector, LEDs mounted near the edge, and the D13 LED isolated using a FET. [Product page]
qwerty

Installing drivers for a Freetronics11

Post by qwerty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:19 am

Just bought a Freetronics11 board, which is compatible with the Arduino UNO. Installed it on my home Windows7 machine, no problems.

However, I have a problem installing on my work XP computer. The IDE downloads and installs, no problems. Then I plug the board in to the USB port, and (as I understand) what should happen, is that the computer recognizes the board as an unknown Comm device, and requires you to install the driver. Quoting from the Arduino instructions:

Look under Ports (COM & LPT). You should see an open port named "Arduino UNO (COMxx)"

What actually happens, is that the computer detects the board as an unknown USB device, which is not right, and no further progress is possible.

What is going on? What (of anything) am I doing wrong?

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Installing drivers for a Freetronics11

Post by angusgr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:20 am

Hi qwerty,

There's a Freetronics-specific USB driver file that's needed for Windows. This page should have the details you need to get up and running: http://www.freetronics.com/pages/instal ... or-windows

Regards,

Angus

qwerty

Post by qwerty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:18 am

angusgr wrote:Hi qwerty,

There's a Freetronics-specific USB driver file that's needed for Windows. This page should have the details you need to get up and running: http://www.freetronics.com/pages/instal ... or-windows

Regards,

Angus
Thanks Angus - works a dream. Evidently I installed the correct Freetronics driver for my home install, but when I went to work I brought the board but not the instruction sheet, relying on the (incorrect) assumption that the Freetronics11 is 'identical' to the UNO, rather than 'compatible'. At the end of the day, the instructions were clear, and the Freetronics support prompt and excellent.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:51 pm

No problems, Windows can be a bit tricksy like that as well! Glad you got it sorted.

qwerty

Post by qwerty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:49 am

Sadly, after working well for a few days, I now can't upload sketches to the Freetronics 11.

When I plug the Eleven into the USB port, it somes up correctly in the windows Device Manager as 'Freetronics 16U2 USB (Com3)'.

Furthermore, under Tools in the IDE, serial port Com3 has a tick next to it.

However, when I try to upload a simple sketch such as the 'Blink' example, I get the error message:

Serial port 'COM3' already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.

I have tried re-booting the computer, and plugging the board in and out, and re-loading the Freetronics driver, but to no avail.

Unless and until this is resoved, the board is unuseable. :?

PS. I ordered an Arduino Due today as the Eleven is too slow and inaccurate for my needs, but it would still be nice to have the Eleven working .... It's a cute board and I'm sure to find a use for it some time.

qwerty

Post by qwerty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:31 am

I eventually solved the problem by re-installing the Arduino IDE, which does not inspire confidence seeing as it was first installed just a few days ago. For now I'll assume this was an unlucky freak occurence.

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:17 pm

qwerty wrote:I eventually solved the problem by re-installing the Arduino IDE, which does not inspire confidence seeing as it was first installed just a few days ago. For now I'll assume this was an unlucky freak occurence.
If it's any consolation it happens to me as well with all sorts of boards, it's a combination of Windows and the IDE. Usually have to reboot to free up the USB.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:39 am

Glad you got it sorted even if the solution was unusual, qwerty.

For future reference, similar problems (probably not this exact problem) can be caused because Arduino spawns avrdude.exe processes to do the actual sketch uploading, and sometimes these get stuck in "runaway" states. If the serial port vanishes so you can't upload, a first step is to open Process Monitor in Windows. You may see one or more stray avrdude.exe processes in the list. It is safe to "End Process" on these and it may fix the problem (you may have to unplug and replug the Eleven afterwards as well.)

Probably not the case for qwerty this time, but a common situation!