Eleven plus Leostick? Or shift register?

The "Eleven" is our Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board, but with a number of improvements including prototyping area, a mini-USB connector, LEDs mounted near the edge, and the D13 LED isolated using a FET. [Product page]
JFiddle

Eleven plus Leostick? Or shift register?

Post by JFiddle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:47 am

Anyone tried or thought of a way to combine an eleven with a Leostick?

I ask as I'm using most of my digital pins for an awesome real time audio shield and it'd be great to add the LCD shield to it. Could I use and power the Leostick from the eleven to drive the LCD shield? Or can the shift expansion module do this?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Eleven plus Leostick? Or shift register?

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:09 pm

There's a few ways of connecting an LCD with less pins than "normal". One example can use three digital pins and an external 4094:
http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/LCD3wires

Or you can get LCDs with I2C backpacks, so all you need are A4/A5/5V and GND.

JFiddle

Post by JFiddle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:59 am

I'm not familiar with that chip at all.

My audio shield uses Digital pins 5-13. 5 & 6 for push buttons (optional) with D7-13 used for the shield (not optional like 5 and 6). So Digital 2-4 are free always free.

Can I use D2, 3 &4 for the shift expansion module to get the required number of pins for the LCD shield?

It's not such a big deal really, it's just I already have the LCD shield and would add a touch of class to my project. What I will do if I can't is just alter the code for the 5 button resister ladder for more control and buttons and scrap the display. I like the buttons from only one pin :)
Last edited by JFiddle on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

JFiddle

Post by JFiddle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:33 am

If I could get that chip could I use digital pins 2-4 instead of 10-12 like in the schematic u linked to?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:20 am

JFiddle wrote:If I could get that chip could I use digital pins 2-4 instead of 10-12 like in the schematic u linked to?
Yes, just change the pin numbers in the LCD3Wire lcd = LCD3Wire(2, 11, 12, 10); statement.

JFiddle

Post by JFiddle » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Still is it possible to combine an Eleven with a Leostck?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:31 pm

JFiddle wrote:Still is it possible to combine an Eleven with a Leostck?
Sure. One Arduino can control another one, there's a few examples of this. The most common method is using the I2C bus. (Random example - http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-connect ... using-i2c/)

However if you're doing that just to control the LCD, it's going to be a lot easier to use the 3-wire method I mentioned earlier, or buy an LCD with an I2C backpack.