I found out what happens when I short output pins to GND

The "Eleven" is our Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board, but with a number of improvements including prototyping area, a mini-USB connector, LEDs mounted near the edge, and the D13 LED isolated using a FET. [Product page]
DaveJ

I found out what happens when I short output pins to GND

Post by DaveJ » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 am

G'day All,
This is a post on what not to do. I decided one day to hook up a transistor to pin 13 of my freetronics eleven. This was ok, I made sure I had the right transistor and had the load working on it properly with all the connections correct. The only thing I didn't do was to put a resistor in series with the transistor base terminal, (oops), I turned on the power at the transistor collector (as it was a NPN transistor), I loaded up the sketch and as soon as it started to run the transistor did nothing... No switching... I checked pin 13, no power. Tried uploading the sketch again.
With that sinking feeling I realised my mistake. I forgot to prevent a dead short occurring between pin 13 and GND.
The sketch would not load. I had blown the eleven up :( very unhappy camper...
A quick trip to Jaycar, (electronics store), a new chip and everything works again :)
Moral of the story... Check and double check your connections otherwise you will become known really well at your electronics store for all the wrong reasons :)

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: I found out what happens when I short output pins to GND

Post by andrew » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:15 am

It's ok - we've all done that at one stage or another. :)