Feature request

The "Eleven" is our Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board, but with a number of improvements including prototyping area, a mini-USB connector, LEDs mounted near the edge, and the D13 LED isolated using a FET. [Product page]
cacycleworks

Feature request

Post by cacycleworks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:00 am

Hi! I recently got to play with an Eleven and have a couple thoughts, if you would please consider them.

1st off: thank you for the gold pads and contacts! Oh my they're great. I completely melted the trace off of an original-type proto shield soldering and de-soldering wires to/from it. I could tell with the kind of heat I was sinking into soldering up the wires on my eleven that the pads weren't a worry at all. Especially with the extended +5 and GND pads!! Wow, it was fantastic to be able to solder 3 wires onto the GND pad without any problems.

Here's what I was able to do... I placed the socket, then lifted it up slightly, sharply angle cut the end of the hookup wires then shoved them through the holes with each pin. This was about the best I was able to do to attach to the socket's pins. And then for each Arduino pin, I added to your existing pins:
eleven_bottom_soldering.jpg
My dream idea would be to get an eleven like this: link the sides of the proto area with pads and then, like many proto shields, break out additional holes for each arduino pin astride the header.
eleven_wishes.jpg
I saw "dream" because I was able to make mine work. I'm not sure if that could be expected of everyone. I was extremely determined to make this work but having that dream layout would have helped greatly.

Thanks!
Chris

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Feature request

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:35 pm

Well done on your project Chris.
As you can imagine, it's difficult to please everyone with a design. However there's merit in your suggestion so we'll think more about it.

In the meanwhile another option for you could be the upcoming Goldilocks board, we should have these in August (hopefully):

cacycleworks

Post by cacycleworks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Oooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! http://feilipu.me/2013/03/08/goldilocks ... uno-clone/

I would totally have gotten in on that, but glad to see they funded it straight off.

When I shared my just-completed project, people asked why didn't I use the Beagle thing or Raspberry PI and I don't need or want the added layer of complexity. I want it to do its job and be done. :D

cacycleworks

Post by cacycleworks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi, looking at the picture of the bottom of the Goldilocks from your product page, do I see there are jumpers?? :mrgreen:

Specifically, those 3 rows of 10 holes at the top... the bottom two are jumpered together? That would have helped my specific project, with its 20 pin IC. Maybe not the total perfection I wanted but that's fantastic.

Now I'll be buying 2 or 3...

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:12 pm

cacycleworks wrote:Hi, looking at the picture of the bottom of the Goldilocks from your product page, do I see there are jumpers?? :mrgreen:

Specifically, those 3 rows of 10 holes at the top... the bottom two are jumpered together? That would have helped my specific project, with its 20 pin IC. Maybe not the total perfection I wanted but that's fantastic.

Now I'll be buying 2 or 3...
Yes, see the little vertical lines. Jumpers aplenty. Philip and everyone else really put a lot of thought into this board. Stay tuned for the sale announcement.

feilipu

Goldilocks: Feature request

Post by feilipu » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:22 am

If you're interested in Goldilocks, and the development process behind its creation, here's some references.

My original design document, has been updated with the development process as we've gone along.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SlN ... sp=sharing

And here's my post, including the current version of the Arduino files for Goldilocks.
Boards file, bootloaders, etc.
http://feilipu.me/2013/03/08/goldilocks ... uno-clone/

cacycleworks

Post by cacycleworks » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:18 am

feilipu, I just read the Google Doc! Jon, consider my feature request SOLVED.

Wow, feilipu and you fixed things I didn't know were wrong with the UNO. I have a BSEE and I'm very impressed with the effort herein! I can't wait to buy some!

Thanks!
Chris

feilipu

Post by feilipu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:31 am

Just following up on this.

Goldilocks now has a User Manual.

http://tinyurl.com/Goldilocks1284p

There'll be a section here on the forum for it, once Jon gets his breath back from a mega sized testing, packing frenzy.