Detaching the power LED

The "Eleven" is our Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board, but with a number of improvements including prototyping area, a mini-USB connector, LEDs mounted near the edge, and the D13 LED isolated using a FET. [Product page]
rweather
Detaching the power LED

Post by rweather » Thu May 10, 2012 2:49 am

Working on a project (an alarm clock of course!) with the Eleven that will eventually be sealed inside a box, and I'd rather the box not have a pale blue glow from the power LED bleeding out the gaps in the box keeping me awake at night. The red status led is easy to deal with - just set D13 to LOW. But what is the recommended way to detach/deactivate the power LED for those of us with big huge old-fashioned soldering irons and not much experience with surface-mount components?

rweather

Re: Detaching the power LED

Post by rweather » Thu May 10, 2012 5:04 am

Hmmm ... on second thought, maybe it would be easier to just build a KitTen and leave off the bits I don't need. I also don't need the power supply or USB interface as I'm playing around with a hand-cranked dynamo and NiMH batteries for the power source anyway (a wind-up clock!). Every extra component uses mA, so the more unnecesary stuff that is left out the better.

hads

Re: Detaching the power LED

Post by hads » Thu May 10, 2012 8:23 am

Good option. If you are looking for low power then the less regulators and FTDI/Atmega chips the better.