Arduino versus Eleven?

The "Eleven" is our Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board, but with a number of improvements including prototyping area, a mini-USB connector, LEDs mounted near the edge, and the D13 LED isolated using a FET. [Product page]
com64

Arduino versus Eleven?

Post by com64 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:15 am

Arduino versus Eleven

New to Arduino and totally new to ‘Eleven’...

Just got a “UNO”. Connected to Windows 7. Problems with connection but finally after a lot of trial and error, managed to get a connection (COM8). Loaded my own sketch. With breadboard. Worked all OK. Happiest man on earth. Tried again next morning. Nothing works. No connection. Serial Port ‘grey’.

After perusing all Forums, I find I am not the only one with this problem. Lots of users have problems too. Tried all suggestions: uninstall, reinstall, different drivers, etc… No result. Decide to give up until I find something that works…

Then discovered by chance “Freetronics” and “Eleven”, said to be “compatible but much better than Uno”. So, how much better is it? Looking at the Forums, only one or two users have connection problems. Has the Arduino connection problems been solved?

So, my question to ‘Eleven’ users is: is it worth trying the ‘Eleven”? Having wasted some time and sanity with ‘UNO’, I am a bit reluctant to get unto the same messy affair with no result at the end.

Apologising for the long verbose. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Com64

com64

Re: Arduino versus Eleven?

Post by com64 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:04 am

Dear tronixstuff,

Thank you for your reply. With due respect there are lots of users complaining on the problems of connectivity and having the ‘Serial Port” option ‘grey’ with no connection. There are lots of postings on the various Arduino Forums.

Thank you for the link. I knew it, having used the instructions so many times. I think I have used all possible actions: uninstall, delete, reinstall, etc, looking for other drivers, etc…

If the ‘Eleven’ mods are only cosmetic, there is no much point in trying. The same result could be expected. Leafing through, I think ‘Popular Mechanics’ yesterday there was an article on Arduino, I read the developers are working on new features, etc… I think they should fix the connectivity problem first!

After reading your reply which gave renewed courage (!), I decided to give it ‘a last chance’. And bingo, I had a connection (COM8), which I had only once a few days ago. But when I tried to load my sketch I had an error message: ”Com8 is busy with another programme. Close that programme first”. I then I lost the connection again. Serial Port was grey again.

So, that was the last straw. Anyone wanting a free “almost new Arduino that does not work”, just send me an address…

Once again, thank you for trying to help.

com64

com64

Post by com64 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:13 am

Hello tronixstuff,
Yes, very odd, and even stranger, is that had a connection (COM8) for 2 days , without doing nothing new (same cable, same USB port) and then since nothing goes. When the connection was ON, I could load several sketches, all was working fine, flashing Leds on the breadboard, etc..
There must be something wrong either with the Uno or with my computer. Tried everything one can imagine but no communication anymore, deleting, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc…
Do you thing I should try another board, probably an “Eleven” this time…since “it is the same but better”!!
Had a look at your site (http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/), great site. Very frustrating to see all the stuff I miss for lack of a proper connection!

I am located near Perth (WA) and I have tried to find out if there are any groups or similar around.

Regards

com64

rebboc

Post by rebboc » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:02 pm

I have been using a Uno, a Nano and an Eleven with my Windows 7 laptop for the last two months. Serial communication is a constant problem. Changing boards really throws it off, but even when the same board is used repeatedly, it sometimes gets "lost". Sometimes this means that the port shown in device manager for the Eleven does not show up in the port list in Arduino, even after a reboot with the board plugged in, sometimes it means that device manager and Arduino both indicate that the board is connecetd to the same port, but there is no communication and no useful error message.

For a bit over a week now, I have found that going into Device Manager, double click the port to bring up the properties screen and then Driver|Update Driver|Browse my computer... |Let me pick from a list .... Click on the driver to select it, then Next|Close

Then it works until I unplug the board from the USB port and reconnect it.

csconsulting

Post by csconsulting » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:03 am

the only issue i have ever had with my eleven is when i sent my pc to sleep with the eleven still plugged in.

When i woke up the PC, it had hung that usb port, and i had to change ports, and then it came up with COM4 instead of COM3.
Other then that no other issue.

It could any number of issues affecting that, do you by any chance happen to have a pc powered by an AMD processor? Sometimes AMD machines install a program called "AMD USB Filter Driver" which can cause all kinds of issues with USB ports.

mikefox

Post by mikefox » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:11 pm

I'm with csconsulting on this, I have an Eleven, a Etherten, two Leosticks and an Ethermega (Guess my favourite brand ;) ) and apart from the occasional hiccup (reinserting the device and restarting the IDE is all I need to do) everything works fine. I'm pretty sure it would be a problem on the local machine, anything that attaches to a serial port could be the cause.

Please remember everyone, when you get an error that states that the port is in use, this does not mean it will show up in device manager under a different name, it means that something running on the PC is connected to the virtual serial port. Windows will only let one device connect to a port at a time, hence the error.

After a bit of looking around I found a site detailing how to find out which program is using the com port, if people affected use this method they can identify what is causing the error.
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ ... 810082394E

Happy programming.

Mike

csconsulting

Post by csconsulting » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:15 am

Also check if your antivirus software isnt doing something with USB connections.
Other things to check for are:
Third party USB optimisation software.
Policies regarding USB devices on a domain machine.
AMD Filter drives.
Intel OHCI usb3 drivers.
USB3/USB2 ports.
Front USB vs rear USB ports.

Flymo

Post by Flymo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:20 am

We have an Eleven that runs reliably and usually works well with the IDE on our various Linux platforms, an Arduino UNO that does the same, and a Leostick that is somewhat problematical after a successful start in life at Ballarat earlier this year. Suspect that the Leonardo approach is currently a bit less robust, if I read the forums right.