Bootloader 2 not uploading most of the time.

A shrunk down Leonardo-compatible board, thumb drive sized with native USB support. [Product info]
Rob235

Bootloader 2 not uploading most of the time.

Post by Rob235 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:37 am

Hi,
Last January I bought my first Arduino board, a Leostick with bootloader one. I installed the USB drivers, both board profiles and IDE 1.0.2. I started with blink and a few other demos then got into the sketch for my project. I had a hung sketch once and since going through the recovery steps haven’t had any other trouble with uploading.

That was until I bought another Leostick last week. This one has Bootloader 2. I changed the board type in the IDE and checked the serial port. First upload was blink and got the following error message:

avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail.

However despite the error message the sketch did upload. Since then most of the time I can’t seem to upload. I’ve tried removing and reinstalling the USB driver, the IDE and the board profiles. I’ve even tried another pc. Usually what happens is the upload progress bar just stops at 90% and goes no further. Sometimes if I close and reopen the IDE I can upload again once, but there is always an error message, for example:

processing.app.SerialException: Serial port 'COM12' already in use. Try quitting any programs that may be using it.
at processing.app.Serial.touchPort(Serial.java:119)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:201)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1671)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1627)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1599)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2380)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

If I go back to my original bootloader one Leostick, al fine… this is so frustrating!!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rob235

Re: Bootloader 2 not uploading most of the time.

Post by Rob235 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:20 am

I had some time today to do some more research and found this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=663

I removed the freetronics drivers and used the ones from the above thread and the upload problems are gone.

(most of the time!)

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:58 am

Hi Rob,

Glad to hear you got it working.

* I'm able to reproduce the exact symptoms you describe if I use Arduino IDE 1.0. 1.0 only supports the v1 LeoStick bootloader (aka the Diskloader bootloader), the v2 LeoStick bootloader (aka Catarina bootloader) is newer than 1.0. Is there any possibility you might be running 1.0 not 1.0.2? The version should be in the title bar of the running Arduino IDE, or under Help->About.

* The LeoStick v2 Bootloader doesn't appear to start correctly when you press Upload - you have to press the physical reset button shortly after you start the upload. There's a thread mentioning that issue as well, I'm looking into that issue at the moment.

* When you say removing the Freetronics drivers and installing Adr1an's drivers from the other thread fixed the problem, can you be specific about exactly what you installed/removed? Is this just the Windows-side drivers, or did you also change Arduino IDE board profiles and/or upload a new LeoStick board profile? Also, can you let me know what Windows version you are running? Even though you've got it working it'd be good to know for sure what was going wrong.

Thanks for your patience and your help.

Angus

Rob235

Post by Rob235 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:27 am

Hi Angus,

I’m using IDE 1.0.4, Windows 7 64-bit.

When I removed the drivers and reinstalled. I removed the entire IDE folder, the profiles under Documents folder, and the driver. I then put the IDE back, Adrian’s driver and Adrian’s profile. I haven’t tried the Freetronics profile again. However since you asked I’ve put it back and done some testing. I hope this helps.

For upload testing I’m using blink and changing the LED pin each time so I know I have a successful upload.

Using Adrian’s profile the Leostick resides on COM14 and every upload is successful without fail, no need to press the reset button. I still have IDE 1.0.2 installed and this works perfectly too.

Now, if I go back to 1.0.4 and the Freetronics V2 profile, the Leostick is still on Com14. The first upload works perfectly but afterwards the Leostick moves to COM13. I change ports in the IDE, try to upload and it fails. I get ‘Error touching serial port COM13’. The Leostick has now gone from the port list in the IDE and Device Manager and blink has stopped running until I reset the board. The Leostick then reappears on COM13 in device manager however the IDE doesn’t show the port. Without changing the port setting in the IDE I try to upload again and it fails unless I press the reset button as well. Now when it fails the error message is ‘Couldn’t find a Leonardo on the selected port.’ Upload again while pressing the reset button and successful. This seems to be consistent however the IDE doesn’t ever list COM13.

Back to Adrian’s profile and the board moves to COM14 after the first upload (with reset) and then I can upload consistently without ever using the reset button.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:41 am

Hi Rob,

If you have time, can you please try the new profile posted here and let me know how it works for you?

Regards,

Angus

Rob235

Post by Rob235 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:54 am

Hi Angus,

Installed per instructions and tested with Blink again. After the first upload, Windows decided it needed to install the device driver, i let it do this and the Leostick then reappeared on COM15. Have done about half a dozen uploads since then using IDE 1.0.4 without trouble. 1.0.2 seems to work fine as well.

Rob.