Windows 7 64 bit Install - serial port in use

A shrunk down Leonardo-compatible board, thumb drive sized with native USB support. [Product info]
rogerhi

Windows 7 64 bit Install - serial port in use

Post by rogerhi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:06 am

Hi,

I followed the instructions to the letter(well I think i did :) ) on two win7 64 bit machines and got the same error.

"Serial port x in use" no matter what serial ports are being used.

I have gone round and round and round the examples and forum posts and I can not got a sketch to upload.

I don't know whether I have done something wrong initially.

The second port part is quite subtle and I could be missing something but I am not getting an option to install the leonardo.inf it just stays on leostick.

As far as I can make out the unified inf file is supposed to sort it all out but it doesnt for me I just have a red and blue light taunting me.

Thanks in advance all.

P.S. I don't know which version of the board I have for the hardware profile. i am assuming v1 got it from Jaycar yesterday.

rogerhi

Re: Windows 7 64 bit Install - serial port in use

Post by rogerhi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:41 am

tronixstuff wrote:The blink rate of the LED determines which version you have. The easiest way to tell which bootloader you have is to watch the LED on the LeoStick when you first power it up or reset it. The LED will pulse on and off as if it's "breathing" for several seconds, and the two bootloaders breathe at different rates. The early "Diskloader" bootloader breathes about once per second.
The latest "Caterina" bootloader breathes much faster, about twice per second.
I think its once a second but what I am getting it is,I am not sure. When something doesn't work you start to wonder about it all :)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried view hidden devices and shownonpresent=1 environment variables. I have got rid of a lot of old stuff but to no avail.

Its coming up as "freetronics leostick beta (com3)" and doesnt change to leonardo after a period of time. I have no idea how to fix this.

rogerhi

Re: Windows 7 64 bit Install - serial port in use

Post by rogerhi » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:51 am

rogerhi wrote:
tronixstuff wrote:The blink rate of the LED determines which version you have. The easiest way to tell which bootloader you have is to watch the LED on the LeoStick when you first power it up or reset it. The LED will pulse on and off as if it's "breathing" for several seconds, and the two bootloaders breathe at different rates. The early "Diskloader" bootloader breathes about once per second.
The latest "Caterina" bootloader breathes much faster, about twice per second.
I think its once a second but what I am getting it is,I am not sure. When something doesn't work you start to wonder about it all :)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried view hidden devices and shownonpresent=1 environment variables. I have got rid of a lot of old stuff but to no avail.

Its coming up as "freetronics leostick beta (com3)" and doesnt change to leonardo after a period of time. I have no idea how to fix this.
I am going to give in now. I think these dont work with windows 7 64 bit. I have spent hours/days by now trying to get it to work.

There is not a big enough community to help either every blog refers here or tronixstuff. Thanks to Tronixstuff for trying to help. There is no commercial support. Anyone with win 7 64 bit I wouldnt bother with a leostick.

Its gonna have to go back. I dont think it will put me off freetronics full stop but this product has some problems.