LeoStick with Arduino 1.5 beta IDE

A shrunk down Leonardo-compatible board, thumb drive sized with native USB support. [Product info]
krellmusician
LeoStick with Arduino 1.5 beta IDE

Post by krellmusician » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:41 am

Has anyone successfully combined the LeoStick with the 1.5 IDE?

The profile directories apparently have to be placed in the hardware folder belonging to the actual IDE, not the sketchbook, in order for the new menu software to recognize their existence. I installed the driver successfully (I thought). But when I attempted to verify or upload the basic "Blink" sketch, the IDE coughed up numerous Processing-oriented error messages to the effect that it couldn't find or load the compiler.

If I selected Arduino Leonardo as the board, I was able to compile and begin an upload, but the upload would hang.

I dropped back to IDE 1.0.1 and managed to get a modified Blink sketch loaded and running, but I cannot load any changes, the system seems to be selecting the wrong driver software, and the port number is incremented on each attempt.

All of this is being done under 64-bit Windows 7. I have an unused netbook running Windows NT SP3 that I'm seriously considering dedicating to the task of Arduino and related development, with however many versions of the various IDEs I need to support whatever hardware I have.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks for your time.

iSteve

Re: LeoStick with Arduino 1.5 beta IDE

Post by iSteve » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:24 am

I've downloaded IDE 1.52beta and can't get the Leostick board installed,

Any ideas?

headingwest

Post by headingwest » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:43 am

Yes, I would like to be able to use 1.5 IDE

I have installed and tested the "blink" with windows 8 and Arduino 1.0.3 and it worked.

Running the beta 1.5.2 IDE there is no Leostick under tools..board

BTW to get passed the "unsigned driver" error when installing the .inf file in windows 8 this link worked for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlYGfJM2BJ0

Happy programming.

cef
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by cef » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:55 am

The location where board details are stored has changed in the Arduino 1.5 IDE.

I'd do a bit of research and tell you where that is, but I don't have the 1.5 IDE and the Arduino website is currently down for some supposed "scheduled maintenance".

cef
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by cef » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:48 pm

I've looked through the Arduino 1.52 Beta, and it seems that they've created a directory under ./hardware/arduino/ called avr. In that directory (./hardware/arduino/avr/) is a boards.txt file that you can probably edit to add the correct details for the Leostick. At least, that's what I can see in the Linux version.

I've got a few leosticks here and will try it in the next day or two on both Linux and Windows 7 64 bit.

odranoel

Post by odranoel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:27 pm

I'm running a 'dual boot' setup. 1.0 to make things work and 1.5 to sort out why it (1.5) doesn't.

Right now, I need things to work, so I'm using 1.0. In My copious free time, I'll have a play with 1.5.

I'll get back to you if/when I find anything useful....

C:\>

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:42 am

odranel, for what it's worth I have a working board profile for LeoStick V2 on the 1.5 development version (which is a bit newer and different to the current 1.5.2 beta release, unfortunately.)

To make it work optimally required some minor patches to the Arduino IDE, which I've submitted to Arduino and they'll hopefully incorporate. If for some reason they don't get in then there are also workarounds I can use, they're just not as nice (specifically they're not as future proof, it's more likely we'll need to release new board profiles to keep up with future 1.6/1.7/etc versions.)

While 1.5 remains in beta there may not be a formal board profile available, of course if you manage to develop something you can share then that would be great (the board profile I created won't be of much use for the beta as the changes are actually quite subsantial since 1.5.2.)

I can promise you that once 1.5 comes out of beta and there's an official release, Freetronics will release a LeoStick board profile to suit.

- Angus

PS For LeoStick V2 it's also possible to just use the Arduino Leonardo selection to upload sketches, as the hardware/bootloader are identical. We don't recommend this though, as the sketch will run with Arduino's USB vendor ID, something which is theirs to reserve for their devices (and report as a Leonardo not a LeoStick.)

ddeletic

Post by ddeletic » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:46 am

I know this is an old thread, but since I managed to get LeoStick V2 going with Arduino IDE 1.5.8 after some pains, I thought my experience may be useful to someone out there.

1. Download the latest LeoStick board profile (I used v3.3 - http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0045/8 ... _3.zip?498)

2. Extract LeoStick/bootloaders/caterina/Caterina-LeoStick.hex file from the board profile and place it into <arduino>/hardware/arduino/avr/bootloaders/caterina

3. Add the following to <arduino>/hardware/arduino/avr/boards.txt:

Code: Select all

##############################################################
leostickv2.name=Freetronics LeoStick V2.0

leostickv2.upload.tool=avrdude
leostickv2.upload.protocol=avr109
leostickv2.upload.maximum_size=28672
leostickv2.upload.maximum_data_size=2560
leostickv2.upload.speed=57600
leostickv2.upload.disable_flushing=true
leostickv2.upload.wait_for_upload_port=true

leostickv2.bootloader.tool=avrdude
leostickv2.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
leostickv2.bootloader.high_fuses=0xd8
leostickv2.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xcb
leostickv2.bootloader.file=caterina/Caterina-LeoStick.hex
leostickv2.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
leostickv2.bootloader.lock_bits=0x2F

leostickv2.build.mcu=atmega32u4
leostickv2.build.f_cpu=16000000L
leostickv2.build.vid=0x26BA
leostickv2.build.pid=0x8002
leostickv2.build.core=arduino
leostickv2.build.variant=leonardo
leostickv2.build.usb_product="Freetronics Leostick"
leostickv2.build.usb_manufacturer="Freetronics"
leostickv2.build.extra_flags={build.usb_flags}
4. <arduino>/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/USBCore.cpp will fail every time when verifying sketches. I guess it is a bug in the current version of Arduino IDE. As a work around, search for the first occurence of STRING_MANUFACTURER in USBCore.cpp (in version distributed with 1.5.8, this is at line 72). Just above this line, there is a block lines that looks something like this:

Code: Select all

#if USB_VID == 0x2341
#  if defined(USB_MANUFACTURER)
#    undef USB_MANUFACTURER
#  endif
#  define USB_MANUFACTURER "Arduino LLC"
#elif USB_VID == 0x1b4f
#  if defined(USB_MANUFACTURER)
#    undef USB_MANUFACTURER
#  endif
#  define USB_MANUFACTURER "SparkFun"
#elif !defined(USB_MANUFACTURER)