What is the trick to get windows 7 working with card

A shrunk down Leonardo-compatible board, thumb drive sized with native USB support. [Product info]
youmansk

What is the trick to get windows 7 working with card

Post by youmansk » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:27 pm

I cannot get windows 7 to work with my leostick. The driver does not work. I have tried 3 windows 7 machines. two were 64bit the other one was 32bit.

youmansk

Re: What is the trick to get windows 7 working with card

Post by youmansk » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:59 pm

got it to work on my 32bit. I think that 64bit requires signed drivers and that is why 64bit will not work.

wintrmute

Post by wintrmute » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:23 am

You can usually bypass the signing requirement for Windows 7 64bit; it can get a bit contrived, but it's possible.

Has anyone had success at getting the leostick working on Win7 x64?

echoshack

Post by echoshack » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:44 am

Received my LeoStick yesterday. I got it working with Win7 x64 (just click the allow unsigned driver) however the first time I installed the drivers on COM7 it worked OK. Then I uploaded Blink and it worked ok and promptly uninstalled the driver for some reason. I found this out when I re-compiled and tried to upload.
Went to device manager and LeoStick was showing no driver. So I updated driver and this time it came up on COM8 and I could do the upload OK

At end of upload the LoeStick resets and Win7 sounds the (ding dong) that you get when un-pluging a USB device so maybe there is a bit of a race condition and it tries to read the USB params and gets bad data? Anyway so far has not lost the driver again tried 3 compiles/uploads.

Tony

SteveCares

Post by SteveCares » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:24 pm

Just tried to install my new Leostick on two different Win 7 devices - with no luck on either. One was x64 and the other x32.

Followed the instructions to download the .inf file.
http://www.freetronics.com/pages/leostick-usb-driver
  • Opened device manager
  • Found "Other devices | Leostick Loader" (not "Freetronics LeoStick Loader" as the document says)
  • Right click to "Update driver software..."
  • Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • Cut and paste .inf file location (to be double sure)
  • Hit Next
And get the error "Windows was unable to install your Leostick Loader. Windows could not find driver software for your device"

Meanwhile my Leo is taunting me with a blue light and a flashing red one. :cry:

Nothing about unsigned drivers even came up. I don't even seem to have COM ports to worry about yet.

How did other people get past this?

Daniel Ng

Post by Daniel Ng » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:09 am

SteveCares wrote: Followed the instructions to download the .inf file.
http://www.freetronics.com/pages/leostick-usb-driver
  • Opened device manager
  • Found "Other devices | Leostick Loader" (not "Freetronics LeoStick Loader" as the document says)
  • Right click to "Update driver software..."
  • Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • Cut and paste .inf file location (to be double sure)
  • Hit Next
And get the error "Windows was unable to install your Leostick Loader. Windows could not find driver software for your device"

Meanwhile my Leo is taunting me with a blue light and a flashing red one. :cry:

Nothing about unsigned drivers even came up. I don't even seem to have COM ports to worry about yet.
Exactly the same problem here on Windows Vista 32. Hoping for some useful suggestions!

Daniel Ng

Post by Daniel Ng » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:04 pm

OK, I got the Windows driver working, but have run into another problem I'll post in a new thread.

To get the driver working, edit the LeoStick_Bootloader_Driver_v1.0.inf file using a basic text editor.

Append the following to the end of line 89:

, USB\VID_26BA&PID_0002&REV_0001

-this is the ID reported to Windows by the firmware on the LeoStick
->you can see for yourself from Device Manager->LeoStick->Properties->Details->Hardware IDs

If you're on 64-bit Windows, you may have to edit other parts of the INF file, as the comments in that file indicate.

I guess what has happened is that the firmware on the LeoStick was updated to report a different set of Hardware IDs, but the driver was not updated to reflect this.

SteveCares

Post by SteveCares » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:14 pm

Daniel Ng wrote: Append the following to the end of line 89:

, USB\VID_26BA&PID_0002&REV_0001
Aargh. I thought I tried this and it didn't work.
Now I realise I missed the USB\ bit

I appended it to both DeviceList entries and it seems to work on Win7 x64 (and now I have COM3)

Well done.

Tripod

Post by Tripod » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Well thanks for wasting hours of my Time FreeFark***Tronics....... Why don't you test the drivers & the product & your install tutorials before distribution, some quality control is in order here.

Thanks to a SteveCares, Thank God Steve does care, cause Freetronics doesn't.

I finally got my leostick's serial port recognosed by Windows.

Here is what to do, goto your device manager & under other devices right click on the leostick that has the exclamation against it.
Select Properties.
Select Details TAB
From the Property Pull down Select Hardware ID's
Right click on the second hardware ID down & select copy.
Here is what mine looks like (USB\VID_2341&PID_0034&MI_00)

Now go to the where your LeoStick_Bootloader_Driver_v1.inf file is saved & open the file for editing, use notepad.

Find the two lines towards the bottom of the file that start with %DESCRIPTION%
Append to both lines your Hardware ID found in the above step put a comma before the new ID entry.

Here is what my new inf file looks like in the devicelist section with my new entry appended.

[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_20A0&PID_4151&MI_00, USB\VID_20A0&PID_4151&REV_0100, USB\VID_20A0&PID_4151, USB\VID_2341&PID_0034&MI_00

[DeviceList.NTamd64]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_20A0&PID_4151&MI_00, USB\VID_20A0&PID_4151&REV_0100, USB\VID_20A0&PID_4151, USB\VID_2341&PID_0034&MI_00

Save the file & now manually update the driver for the Leostick using the LeoStick_Bootloader_Driver_v1.inf file & you should now have an active com port called Freetronics LeoStick associated with a com port number.

It looks like not all their leostick's they are putting out have the same Hardware ID's
Hence the trouble with the inf file & people not able to get their com port recognised when the board is in normal mode.

Cheers Tri.

darkling123

Post by darkling123 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks Tri and Daniel, this work well for me.