DMD with IRREMOTE library not work good

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
Brissieboy

Re: DMD with IRREMOTE library not work good

Post by Brissieboy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:07 am

statbat,
I have not done much with the DMD2 library except for an initial play some time ago so I cannot help you there. I have used the earlier library and have made numerous mods to it to achieve what I wanted it to do.
One thing that might be an issue is the number of DMDs you are trying to use, depending on how things are configured. Have you tried reducing that to 2 or 3 (or even a single DMD) to see how it goes?
Also I have managed to get what I wanted onto a Uno for the several applications I have made and have not played with the Mega, so again I am unable to help with that. However, I think you should be able to get what you want out of a Uno.
I would suggest that you go back to basics, then add one thing at a time and make sure that works before adding the next bit. Take it slowly and don't try to build the entire project in one go.

statbat

Post by statbat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:30 am

Brissieboy wrote:statbat,
I have not done much with the DMD2 library except for an initial play some time ago so I cannot help you there. I have used the earlier library and have made numerous mods to it to achieve what I wanted it to do.
One thing that might be an issue is the number of DMDs you are trying to use, depending on how things are configured. Have you tried reducing that to 2 or 3 (or even a single DMD) to see how it goes?
Also I have managed to get what I wanted onto a Uno for the several applications I have made and have not played with the Mega, so again I am unable to help with that. However, I think you should be able to get what you want out of a Uno.
I would suggest that you go back to basics, then add one thing at a time and make sure that works before adding the next bit. Take it slowly and don't try to build the entire project in one go.
Thanks for your reply.
Actually entire project was built and working with bluetooth until i realized that i should add remote as it is much easier option.
So I just added IR to a working project. I tried with UNO also and it didnt work.

Thanks for your time.

Brissieboy

Post by Brissieboy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:58 am

statbat,
I suspect that the combination of the DMD interrupt and the IR interrupt might be taking too much time. That is why I suggested reducing the number of DMDs set up in your sketch.
A Uno can only safely handle about 5 or 6 DMDs (depending on what else your sketch is doing), and now you have the added load of the IR interrupt.
My DMD plus IR project only used 2 DMDs.
It's a really simple test. Definitely worth giving it a try.