DMD library errors

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
baldgeek
DMD library errors

Post by baldgeek » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi Guys,

First post here, so I hope I am in the right place.

I bought 4 of the DMD displays and an EtherTen with the plans of getting it scrolling all sorts of information.

Thus far I have spent about 5-6 hours trying to get the sample code to 'Verify', but cant.
This it the first line error I am getting in both Mac and Win 7;

dmd_clock_readout.cpp:43:27: error: DMD.h: No such file or directory

I have copied the files to c:\arduino\libraries, also I have tried copying them into the examples directory and also into the C:\arduino\libraries\Examples\dmd_clock_readout directory as well.

I have set the correct path to the sketch book location in the preferences for the application; (C:\arduino\libraries)

I have spent some time trying to Google that error, but it seems I am the only person on the planet that has had this problem.....

It seems like a simple pathing error, but I cant see where I have gone wrong.
I run my own Linux web server and use both Mac and Windows and have programmed GWT in Eclipse, so feel really silly that I cant get this example code to verify.....

I am able to open, verify and download the small 'blink' example with no errors, so its just a problem with the DMD libraries......

Lastly, I understand that I need to solder some jumpers for the MegaTen to run these displays, but cant find any details on what pins need to go where, does anyone have a photo, or schematic to point that out?

Thanks for your time.

Ben.

baldgeek

Re: DMD library errors

Post by baldgeek » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:07 am

Update;

I copied the DMD library files to this directory;
C:\arduino\libraries\Examples

It now will verify the sketch, but throws the following errors (just the first few of many many like it);

Examples\DMD.cpp.o: In function `DMD::writePixel(unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned char, unsigned char)':
C:\arduino\libraries\Examples/DMD.cpp:79: multiple definition of `DMD::writePixel(unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned char, unsigned char)'
DMD.cpp.o:C:\Users\beno\AppData\Local\Temp\build4919276774044011501.tmp/DMD.cpp:79: first defined here
Examples\DMD.cpp.o: In function `DMD::drawLine(int, int, int, int, unsigned char)':
C:\arduino\libraries\Examples/DMD.cpp:260: multiple definition of `DMD::drawLine(int, int, int, int, unsigned char)'
DMD.cpp.o:C:\Users\beno\AppData\Local\Temp\build4919276774044011501.tmp/DMD.cpp:260: first defined here
Examples\DMD.cpp.o: In function `DMD::drawCircleSub(int, int, int, int, unsigned char)':
C:\arduino\libraries\Examples/DMD.cpp:330: multiple definition of `DMD::drawCircleSub(int, int, int, int, unsigned char)'
DMD.cpp.o:C:\Users\beno\AppData\Local\Temp\build4919276774044011501.tmp/DMD.cpp:330: first defined here
Examples\DMD.cpp.o: In function `DMD::drawCircle(int, int, int, unsigned char)':

Looking at as many places as I can think of, I cant figure out what is the problem this time around.

I am using the latest library as linked from the freetronics page on the DMD.

Excited that I have got a little further, but frustrated that many have said they have got this working in less than 5 minutes, really starting to wonder how many others have problems getting this stuff up and running.

Thanks.

Ben.

baldgeek

Post by baldgeek » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:48 pm

Update.

I had to move the whole install back one directory, it was c:/arduino/arduino 1.0/......
Dropping the extra level of 1.0 (which the unzipping of the download from arduino.cc created for me) got it working.

I now have all 4 of my DMD's up and running, scrolling beautiful text.
Thanks to all who have chipped in to the library.

My goal is to have the display connected to a web page so people can enter text and view it live on a web cam.

To answer my last question about the changing of the header to suit the EtherTen, no change required. It is all plug and play.

I have never used github before, so will just chip in my code snips once I have them sorted.
(Right now, I am off to work out how to put web pages into the EtherTen and then get strings entered there onto the displays).

Thanks for reading my posts, feels great to have this sorted.

Ben.

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:12 pm

Hey Ben, I've only just seen your posts - sorry if it felt like you were talking to yourself!

I'm glad you got the library path problem sorted out, and I'd be very interested to hear how your project goes. The combination of Ethernet and a series of DMDs would be a great combination for an Internet-enabled message board, and I'm sure many other people would want to build something like that. Please keep us updated with your progress or any problems you run into.
--
Jon

baldgeek

Post by baldgeek » Mon May 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Just to finish up / 'close' this forum post, I have everything working, you can read the results and get the code from this forum thread;

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=661

Net to dmd working like a treat.

Cheers.

Ben.