EtherMega - making it at home?

Combining the power of the ATmega2560 MCU with onboard Ethernet, a microSD card slot, an efficient switchmode power supply, and a small prototyping area. [Product page]
hazymat

EtherMega - making it at home?

Post by hazymat » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:50 pm

Hi

Has anyone attempted to make the EtherMega at home? I've started my own project based on the Arduino Mega 2560 and a breakout W5100 board with DIY PoE, see my project on AutomatedHome.

But my DIY PoE is a bit rubbish, it involves splicing the cable at the lightswitch and plugging wires into block connectors on the PCB.

Problem is the EtherMega is a little bit too expensive to include in the project, as it would push the total project cost up to £170 per lightswitch - too much for people to pay!

Question for Jon: I see you've released the Eagle files on GitHub. Do you have a BOM and some guidance to put the board together? Is the EtherMega open source, enough for me to make it myself and possibly even sell it on as part of a product? (Someday I'd like to do a Kickstarter!)

Question for anyone: has anyone successfully had a board made based on Jon's designs, and soldered it up? Anyone help me through the process a bit?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: EtherMega - making it at home?

Post by andrew » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:35 pm

You can export the BOM from EAGLE.
However if you need EtherMegas in volume we have good price breaks, email support@freetronics.com to learn more.
Links to the CC licencing for the EtherMega are:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode

hazymat

Post by hazymat » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:04 am

Thanks Jon!

JamesMcBride

Post by JamesMcBride » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:08 am

Hi,
Sorry to high-jack, but this is kinda on topic.

I've made a few EtherMega's from your designs, but I'm struggling to program the ATMega16u2 using the ICSP pins. The AtMega2560 went fine and seems to work, but I just can't seem to get the ATMega16u2 chip to do anything.

I'm running this:

Code: Select all

c:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\firmwares\atmegaxxu2>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude" -C"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"  -cstk500v1 -p m16u2 -PCOM4 -b19200 -v -U flash:w:Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-Mega2560-Rev3.hex -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -vvvvv -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0xF4:m -U lock:w:0x0F:m
and basically getting back:

Code: Select all

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]
avrdude: Recv: . [14]
avrdude: Recv: . [10]
Is there anything special I need to do to program a "virgin" 16u2?

Any advice would be appreciated. I've tried several different chips with no luck.

Thanks
James

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:09 am

Hi James,

I'm not familiar with the programmer with you're using, but for brand new AVR chips I usually need to pass the -B parameter to avrdude in order to slow down the bit clock for the slow factory clock speed. "-B 10" or similar should do it.

Otherwise check the soldering on the QFN package, maybe you have a cold pad or two?

Angus

JamesMcBride

Post by JamesMcBride » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:40 am

Hi Angus,
Thank you for getting back to me, I have tried slowing the bit clock without any luck.

I'm 99% sure the soldering on the QFN is ok, I am getting the same results on four boards and have de soldered and re soldered countless times. The programmer I'm using is an "Arduino as ISP" I am beginning to wonder if this is the problem? What programmers do you use?

JamesMcBride

Post by JamesMcBride » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:11 pm

Just thought I'd add, I've even tried adding an external clock from the ATMEGA2560 instead of the oscillator, which has made no difference...

like this:
http://1drv.ms/217nRwl

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:40 pm

That looks it should work, sorry I can't give any more specific tips. :(

JamesMcBride

Post by JamesMcBride » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:06 pm

Thanks anyway. I've ordered a USBTinyISP to see if that makes any difference.

JamesMcBride

Post by JamesMcBride » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:56 pm

The USBTinyISP has sadly made no difference.

I have SJ1 and SJ3 shorted and SJ2 unshorted - I assume this is correct?

Thanks again
James